Jun 3, 2013

MPM - June 3-9

Wow...what on earth happened to May?  Now it is June and getting closer to all our summer plans. 

School is over for Miss Zebra, she is now officially a senior in high school.  She doesn't get much of a break, Monday starts summer school.  She is only doing a three week session, only half day, so won't be too bad.  I am putting her in charge of Mr. M in the afternoons while I try to get a few things done around here.

This was dessert this week end.
Strawberries and Cream Pie has become a favorite around here.  I learned with the first one I made that you need to cover it in the fridge or the berries freeze.  I changed the recipe up a little bit.  Our Walmart carries Sweet Lava strawberry glaze (located in the produce section) so I mix the strawberry slices in with that for my topping.  I also opted to not add the chocolate drizzle.  The berries are fresh at the time at the local farmer's market.

I am actually semi-functional for a change.  I will be hooking up with Organizing Junkie this week for the Meal Plan Monday.  Be sure and take a look, there are all kinds of plans posted by wonderful people.  Some are vegan, gluten free, paleo diets and really a little something for everyone.

Here is my plan for this week:

Mon. - Slow Cooked Tamale Casserole, Frito salad with homemade Catalina style dressing.
Tue. - Baja Fish Tacos, Pinto Beans, Marinated Tomatoes
Wed. - Cajun Sausage & Rice, Buttermilk Biscuits
Thu. - Cracker Barrel Chicken & Dumplings, Carrots, Peas
Fri. - Cowboy Casserole, Rice, 7-up Biscuits
Sat. - Seafood Enchiladas, Broccoli, Rice (I think this is a recipe close to what a local restaurant offers, got it off of FB)
Sun. - Pulled Pork W/Root Beer Sauce, Baked Onion Rings, Coleslaw

I have my grocery list all made for the week and will be going to the grocery store today.  We don't get paid until next week, so won't do a big buy until then.  I am doing quite well with the budget, have some extra left over actually.  Hope I can keep this up, our vacation is going to cost a small fortune, but it will be worth it.

I only plan my dinner meals, as it has just been me for lunch.  Now that Miss Zebra will be home for lunch, we will just eat sandwiches or salads.  It works for us.  As I mentioned, I have the next three weeks planned.  I could have gone farther, but my oldest grand son is coming for a visit, Mr. T is 10, and am waiting until he gets here to find out what he would like to eat.  I only get to see him a once a year, twice if I am lucky, and only for a few days.  Towards the end of our vacation, when we take him home, we will only have about three days with my oldest daughter and the other grand son, Mr. W will be 3 by then and is Mr. T's little brother.  Not a lot of time but I will take what I can get.

I am also starting a new program today, Frist Place 4 Health, and am hoping it will help me learn to eat more nutritious and because of that, loose some weight.  I finally got cleared by my doctor to head to the gym and now have done something to my back.  Will see what happens, am still going to try and get in a little work out time this next week.  That being said, the rest of the family does like to have a little sweetness from time to time.  I have a recipe for Banana Rum Bread that I am just itching to make, before my bananas go bad.  But...I have to make my Blackberry Cobbler first, before those go bad.  I figure the bread will freeze well, so will go ahead and make both.

This was the last I made, am adding more berries this time. 
I will be making this incredible Mile High Banana Pie later this week as well.  It includes the recipe to make the most awesome Chantilly cream.  I have just fallen in love with it.  I thought it would be to expensive to make very often, as the store brand of heavy cream is almost $7 for a large carton.  However, I found a little trick at the store.  Well at the local Walmart anyway.  Instead of looking by the milk, if you look by the creamers, you can get the same size carton for about $4 instead.  It is crazy, but it is true.

Well, I am off to get my day started.  Thanks for stopping by and feel free to leave a comment.  Check back often, I will be adding some recipes this week as I make some of the dishes.




 

 

1 comment:

  1. Mmm the pie looks marvelous! ;) We're having pulled BBQ pork sandwiches this week too! Stopping by from MPM.

    ReplyDelete